Wednesday, May 30, 2012

New Fitness, Nutrition and Wellness Ideas

Hey everyone, I have recently learned of some new fitness, nutrition, and wellness ideas, and I wanted to share them with you all.

Body Brushing/Coconut Oil Moisturizer:

Body Brushing:
I learned about this last week from my health coach, and have done it everyday since.  I love it!
Before getting into the shower, on dry skin, use a body brush (preferrably with a long handle) to exfoliate your skin and increase circulation. It makes your skin feel really soft.
Here is the website that can give you instructions on what to do: http://www.whole-body-detox-diet.com/dry-skin-brushing.html

Coconut Oil:
Before I get in the shower, I place a tub of coconut oil in the sink, and fill the sink with warm water.  This will liquify the oil very quickly.  By the time I get out of the shower, the oil is ready to be used.  I use it instead of body lotion...it has a very light scent and does a fantastic job.  The bonus is that it is all natural, so I am not putting chemicals onto my skin. You can find coconut oil and the body brush at most natural food stores, such as Whole Foods.  It is located in the beauty section.

Rebounding:

Rebounding has become one of my favorite ways to get my cardio in. It is basically jumping on a mini-trampoline.  If you are bored with your cardio program, which I tend to be easily, I recommend investing in a rebounder.  They come in a wide range of prices, and can easily be found online. 
The great thing about the rebounder is that you don't have to leave your home in order to get your work out in.  It is very easy on your joints, and most of all, it is fun.  You can crank up your favorite music and jump, or jump while watching your favorite tv show.  It doesn't take up a lot of space, and the good ones don't make much noise at all. 
If you are already running or spinning, etc...I wouldn't replace this as your only form of cardio, but use it on days when your joints hurt, legs feel heavy, or if you don't have time to get to the gym.  It is a great addition to your weekly workout routine. 
If you are just starting to workout, and don't currently do much cardio, this would be the perfect thing to get you going, because it is so gentle.  In that case, use it as your main form of cardio, with the intention of adding other things in down the road.
The calorie burn for 15 minutes of rebounding is roughly 100 calories, depending on how much you weigh.  Double that time, or even go for 45 minutes, and you will get in a pretty decent calorie burn.

Banana/Date Smoothie:

Once again, I have to hand it to my health coach for giving me this idea.  If you have sweet tooth, I have learned of a healthy alternative to breaking down and buying icecream, cookies, cake, etc.  When your sugar craving hits, trying drinking this smoothie instead. It is all natural, and won't spike your blood sugar to high heavens.

Use one frozen banana (peeled and chopped), one unfrozen banana and 2 dates (which you can find at locations such as Whole Foods. Just make sure if you buy them at a regular grocery store, they are packaged as dates only, not with other ingredients). Put the bananas and dates into a blender with a couple of ice cubes and just a little bit of water.  Blend the mixture until it is smooth, and you will have an awesome snack/meal/what-have-you, that is really good for you.  You can also freeze the mixture for a couple of hours, after you blend it.  Then it basically turns into icecream. 

I hope this is helpful...feel free to email me or leave a comment if you have questions!





No comments:

Post a Comment